Skip to main content

Sewing and snow....

Yes - I've managed to do more sewing today - what a great way to spend your time. This 10" square is a combination of blocks from the book 200 quilt blocks to mix & match by Davina Thomas.
Top left: Flying Geese variation
Top right: Geese around the corner
Bottom left: Birds in the air
Bottom right: Sashed geese.
I've used some of the calico I dyed a while ago. Calculating the sizes was a bit of a challenge - but with the aid of the trusty Scrap Quilt Sensation by Katherine Guerrier I didn't have too many problems.
This one is part of a series that I'll be exhibiting at the Bramble Patch from 4 - 18 April and the artists (yes I'm afraid that includes me) will be there, talking about our work (yes it does sound very grand) on Saturday 4th April. I really hope some of you may be able to come along. I'll let you know nearer the time what time we'll be there.
The series will make much more sense in context. Honest.
Some of you may of heard it snowed a bit here this week. Here are some photos I took on Monday this week - and the snow is still here and the weather forecasts suggests it may get down to -10 tonight and there may be more snow on the way.
Flo wasn't too impressed when it started to snow. She tried to catch it, chase it and then when it landed on her she ran around in circles and then ran inside. She's calmed down a bit now. Well as much as she ever will.
My secret to cracking on with my sewing is that I focused and made a list of the projects I have and the dates when they need to be completed by. The pieces for The Bramble Patch exhibition has the earliest deadline - so that's what I've cracked on with.
I was also re-reading part of How to Simplify your life by Tiki Kustenmacher (one of my many self help books LOL). One of the ideas he (I think Tiki is a man) comes up with for unleashing your enthusiasm is to get in the 'flow'. This is when you are totally absorbed in what you're doing - just like most of us when we're sewing. The idea of flow was originally discussed by Csikszentmihalyi and when you read about it - it makes perfect sense. So Kustenmacher discusses this and suggests to experience happiness you should:
  • Be totally engaged
  • concentrate on the moment
  • concentrate on one activity
  • learn to enjoy your work
  • avoid working with unhappy colleagues
  • look for a job where you have some control
  • structure your free time.
Obviously not all of these points can relate to being creative - but you can see some of them do. So now we have a psychologist who supports quilting - indirectly - as it get us in 'flow'. Now we have a scientific excuse. LOL
Have a good week.

Comments

Ali said…
Hooray for snow-bound productivity!
Anonymous said…
Get ready...we are expected to get more snow late this afternoon/tonight!
Love all of your new approaches to quilting! Your innate artistry is teaching us all new tricks and ways of looking at things! So...is it helping you deal with all of the snow ;) Keep warm!
Lynda said…
The idea of flow and quilting is very pertinent, I think. When I was going through a bad time recently, I turned to sewing as a way of giving my brain a rest from its thoughts. Once you're in the flow, you don't have chance to think about anything other than what you're absorbed in. Excellent.

Popular posts from this blog

At long last ......

At long last it's finished. My first large (96 x 78 inches) quilt. I'm really pleased with the pieced binding. It took a while to finish off - but I really like it. I've still got a bit of tidying up and I need to add a label - but the hard slog is finished. So I feel a bit lost now without a huge quilt to sit and stitch when I fancy. You can see from below I've already got the fabric for my next project from Strawberry Fayre. And yet again it was great service - really fast. I've washed the fabric and now it needs a good press. I also need to make sure I think about how the cut the fabric so I don't end up with lots of bits. The larger pieces I'll piece to make the back.

A new experience

Hello, After reading and looking at so many inspiring blogs I thought I'd dip my toe in the water. I hope you'll stick with me whilst I master this new thing..... I've only been quilting for a few years but have always been involved in crafts. My first experience of quilting was with my great aunt - the old fashioned paper hexagons with material from cut up purchases from jumble sales. I have advanced from this but I'm not the world's greatest quilter - although I am enthusiastic. The photo above is my quilt entered to Quilts in the Garden at Trentham last weekend. Although I didn't win a prize one of our group came third in the Bed Quilt category - we had a glass of bubbly to celebrate. I also have a bit of a thing for making bags - this comes in usful when we need things for our sales table at the village Festival (I can assure you they'll be lots more about this as we get nearer to the event). Hope you've enjoyed my first attempt...... I hope this pos...

How exciting

Hello all. I had a very nice e-mail yesterday telling me I was in October's British Patchwork & Quilting magazine as their featured blog of the month. And yes I'm there on page 68. A very nice surprise as I had no idea my little old blog would make a national publication. So if any of you are looking at my blog for the first time please do leave a comment - I'd love to hear from you.