Skip to main content

Class

Hello all,
I hope you're well and enjoying the beautiful autumn weather at the mo. Today it's a beautiful fresh sunny day. The leaves are spectacular.
The flowers don't seem to know what to do. Here's a photo of a poppy that's decided to flower.

I attended a Leamington Embroiderers' Guild lecture on Friday. It was really interesting. It was given by Jane Davies and her trip to south west China. She very generously shared all her purchases with the group and explained how traditional dress was reflected in modern dress. She gave a really good lecture.

So on Saturday there was a class run by the same group at the same venue. Unfortunately no one turned up to open the hall. Bit of a problem. But being a resourceful lot another hall was found nearby and we managed to run the class only starting an hour later than planned.
I've included photos and brief descriptions of the techniques below.
 This illustrates 3 techniques. The one on the left is wax crayon shavings that are then attached by using an iron and baking parchment.
The next one top right is again using a texture plate with water soluble crayons this time.
The bottom right is using the shavings obtained from using fine sandpaper and water soluble pencils. You can either use damp fabric or dampen the fabric and shavings.
You can combine these techniques with using stencils.
 So the first one above is using both a texture plate (From Hobbycraft) and soluble watercolour pencils. The different effects are achieved by the fabric being wet or dry before you start rubbing the texture plate
This is my favourite one. The fabric was sprayed with a number of Crafty Notions sprays and then, using the texture plate again (but only small specific parts, use Markel sticks and a metallic one to lift the design.
So in spite of a bit of a of a rocky start the class was very good. They were a very friendly group and I'm certainly looking forward to more classes.
See you all soon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

At long last ......

At long last it's finished. My first large (96 x 78 inches) quilt. I'm really pleased with the pieced binding. It took a while to finish off - but I really like it. I've still got a bit of tidying up and I need to add a label - but the hard slog is finished. So I feel a bit lost now without a huge quilt to sit and stitch when I fancy. You can see from below I've already got the fabric for my next project from Strawberry Fayre. And yet again it was great service - really fast. I've washed the fabric and now it needs a good press. I also need to make sure I think about how the cut the fabric so I don't end up with lots of bits. The larger pieces I'll piece to make the back.

A new experience

Hello, After reading and looking at so many inspiring blogs I thought I'd dip my toe in the water. I hope you'll stick with me whilst I master this new thing..... I've only been quilting for a few years but have always been involved in crafts. My first experience of quilting was with my great aunt - the old fashioned paper hexagons with material from cut up purchases from jumble sales. I have advanced from this but I'm not the world's greatest quilter - although I am enthusiastic. The photo above is my quilt entered to Quilts in the Garden at Trentham last weekend. Although I didn't win a prize one of our group came third in the Bed Quilt category - we had a glass of bubbly to celebrate. I also have a bit of a thing for making bags - this comes in usful when we need things for our sales table at the village Festival (I can assure you they'll be lots more about this as we get nearer to the event). Hope you've enjoyed my first attempt...... I hope this pos...

How exciting

Hello all. I had a very nice e-mail yesterday telling me I was in October's British Patchwork & Quilting magazine as their featured blog of the month. And yes I'm there on page 68. A very nice surprise as I had no idea my little old blog would make a national publication. So if any of you are looking at my blog for the first time please do leave a comment - I'd love to hear from you.