Skip to main content

Plodding on .....

I've spent today plodding on with my rather large quilt. It wasn't meant to be this big. It started out as conventional Roman Stripe and should have been for a single bed. But, it didn't quite go as planned. The speedy construction method meant 2 edges of the block were on the bias and therefore not very square. So I had to stabilise the Stripe bit with floral blocks - so it's ended up at least twice the size I'd anticipated. I'm very pleased with how it's going, but hand quilting something this big will take some time - so don't expect to see it too soon as a finished project. Having quilted all of the floral blocks at least now I know I'm half way there and quilting in the middle of the stripes and the leaf template is fairly speedy and there's no bulk.

Encouraged by other bloggers I may be brave and go to Ikea tomorrow as I've heard they've got some very good linen at a good price.

I've attached some photos taken yesterday to remind us all that it was a sunny Bank Holiday....


Thanks so much for your generous comment at my own blog. You have done a very nice job of beginning your own! I shall bookmark you and come back again! My youngest daughter is studying abroad in London, now...and I have been hoping to hear from some UK quilters and now I have heard from you and from Jane. How wonderful! Is a bank holiday just a day off that follows a holiday? And plodding along is the perfect description for large quilts that are more than we meant to take on! I shall remember that as I plod along, myself :)

Popular posts from this blog

Outstanding Projects

Do you remember when this... became this? Well - It's time to get it finished.  This is my next project.  I intend to hand quilt kit with big black stitches. I always like to have a hand quilting project.
Last night I went to the Lutterworth Embroiderers Guild talk.  It was a great talk from Gizella K Warburton.  She shared her work with us - both textile work and photographs.  I really enjoyed seeing both.  Do have a look at her work.  It's abstract and uses some great fabrics which give the feel of the countryside.  These images give you a hint at the work Gizella produces. I hope to make progress with a few things this weekend and I'll post about it next week. Have a great weekend.

Festival of Quilts 2017

Hello. Well, I survived 4 days at Festival of Quilts. I had a great time, met lots of lovely people and am really inspired to crack on. I was particularly excited this year as I'd been selected to represent Region 10 of the Quilters Guild in the 'In the Spotlight' exhibition. The theme was 'No place like home'. I decided to use the postcodes of all the places I'd lived. Although I was really pleased with my quilt, I was a little nervous about it being exhibited and how it would look next to the others. I must say I was very impressed with how it was displayed.
 Also exhibiting in the same gallery representing Region 14 was my friend Sarah Humphreys. She chose to use house numbers to illustrate the theme of 'No place like home'. Another really great example of a modern quilt and as ever amazing machine quilting.  As well as participating in the 'In the Spotlight' exhibition Sarah Humphreys also managed to make another amazing quilt that she entered int…

Jean Littlejohn Talk and Class

Another busy weekend involving lots of textiles. We had a great evening on Friday at Leamington Embroierers Guild where we had Jean Littlejohn to deliver a talk and then a day class on the Saturday. I'm sure a lot of you are aware of Jean Littlejohn and her close work with Jan Beaney. So to start here are a few photos of her work and samples - she was very generous and let us handle these and take photos.

And her sketchbooks were great.  I had serious sketchbook envy.

And here is the result of my day.  Her suggestion to our group was to use one stitch - twisted chain stitch.   To make a back ground of this in a thick thread or wool, on a cotton fabric with an open weave with a very large eyed needle - a number 14 Chenille needle.  And then Bond a Web and foil was added  And then more stitching.   I bound some of my threads and I think this helped knock back the gold which was a little brash. We then got to play with an embellisher.  Never had a go before, but found it very easy to use. I se…