Friday, 13 February 2009

Here's a few more things I've been working on. Here are another two 10" blocks for the exhibition at Bramble Patch at Easter.
Both blocks are made from my hand dyed calico. The top one, as if you need it explaining, is 3 leaves that have been heat and bonded onto the fabric, stitched around the edge with the veins being machine stitched - all using YLI variegated thread.
I added a row of buttons - as I just like the buttons...
This one as a bit more involved. I made it in two separate pieces - the top being half square triangles from yet more of the hand dyed calico. The bottom part is made from potassium permanganate dyed (you guessed it) calico and I layered it up and used my short chenille blade on it. I've then added french knots to represent the starlings in the sky and beads and button to represent the stones in the ploughed field.

And here is my February BQL challenge.
Sorting out my list last weekend has really helped me to make progress with my sewing.
SNOW UPDATE - at last it's going -but it's taking ages as it's still been rather cold. I really hope it goes this weekend as we've ended up with lots of pavements and roads with large patches of ice - very dangerous for a girl like me who finds staying upright a challenge at the best of times.
Hope you all have a good weekend. I'm off to meet a friend for a coffee after a bit of retail therapy now.

2 comments:

Sew Create It - Jane said...

I know exactly what you mean about the snow!! We had to walk in the road to get to school yesterday as the pavements were too treacherous.

Love you Feb block!

Selina said...

Lovely to see you last night & the 10" quilts look fab, can't decide which one I like best.