Skip to main content

My Festival of Quilts

I hope you enjoy this selection from the FoQ - more to come.




Hope you're all enjoying the August Bank Holiday. It's such a shame the weather has been rather dull - but we did manage to get a little bit of gardening done.
Thank you for the kind comments about my first 'proper' walk. I'd certainly like to try some more in the future.
I wanted to tell you about the the lectures I attended at the FoQ. I'd certainly recommend having a look at them next year.
So my first one was Pauline Burbridge - what a great artist. She was really interesting. She explained how she planned her year and the process she used to make her pieces - she was very generous with sharing her sketchbooks. She makes 2 types of work now - large pieces and then pieces on a more domestic scale; these latter pieces allow her to develop a theme. She had a exhibition space at the festival - well worth a look.
Next was Maggie Gray. She is so enthusiastic (and very funny)- even though she'd only got back within the last week from a trip to Australia. She was great. My head was spinning by the end of the session as she told us all about so many processes and how she did things. A great speaker. Maggie did have a stall last year but didn't this time. Please do have a look at her blog as she is very generous with her ideas.
And finally was Regina Benson. She makes spectacular pieces. Many of them are bought by corporations as they need big spaces top be seen at their best. She had some great slides and again, like all the quilters and artist I have hear speak, was very generous with her techniques. She is also a member of the Surface Design Association - they had a stand at the show and you could buy their magazines. the magazines have in depth interviews with artists and each one has a theme. I was able to find one with an interview of Pauline Burbridge - a great find.
The show is always a great opportunity to meet up with friends. I was lucky enough to see Jane from Sew Create it, Bren Boardman (my great teacher at the Bramble Patch and a fab artists in her own right) and lost of other people I've seen at classes.
Hope you all enjoy the rest of the Bank Holiday.

Comments

Sounds like you had a brilliant time!! Sorry we didn't more of a chance to chat. :o)
Lynda said…
Why is it, when I see others' FOQ photos, I can't remember seeing any of the quilts, and wish I had?!

Popular posts from this blog

Dennis...

...well unfortunately Dennis died last month. Although we were very upset at the time we realise he had a very happy long life (18 years) and he spent his last day in the garden sunning himself . Everyone who came to the house met him - whether they wanted to or not; he was very friendly . So here are a last few photos of him looking like the fat happy orange cat that he was...

At long last ......

At long last it's finished. My first large (96 x 78 inches) quilt. I'm really pleased with the pieced binding. It took a while to finish off - but I really like it. I've still got a bit of tidying up and I need to add a label - but the hard slog is finished. So I feel a bit lost now without a huge quilt to sit and stitch when I fancy. You can see from below I've already got the fabric for my next project from Strawberry Fayre. And yet again it was great service - really fast. I've washed the fabric and now it needs a good press. I also need to make sure I think about how the cut the fabric so I don't end up with lots of bits. The larger pieces I'll piece to make the back.