Skip to main content

FoQ part 2

So - here's another post about the FoQ. There was so much that I couldn't fit it in one post.
Many of us struggle to find inspiration and I've often heard tutors say - 'it's all around you - you just need to open your eyes'. Well, here's proof of that. A single yellow line on a road. We must all see them every day. This photo is just of a small section of the finished piece - it really made me smile.  The artist is a graduate from last year, Sue Dawson, and she had the opportunity to exhibit her work in a small unit. The texture was very well constructed and some parts of the yellow line were made from fluorescent yellow fabric from jackets.
Another piece she made is below.
Again, a very interesting texture - but just look at it when photographed with the flash on.
In this piece she used grey fluorescent fabric which didn't look anything at all without the use of flash - but looked very different when flash was used.  
She was a really interesting lady to speak to.
Another student exhibiting with this years City & Guilds graduates was Susan Jones. She integrated embroidery into some very stylish clothes.  She had a great set of sketchbooks - as did all the students and they were all happy to have a chat.
Here is some of her work.

Maggie Grey was her usual entertaining self - always delivers a good lecture and is very generous with her work, experience and techniques.  If you get the opportunity to listen to her do go along.
I'll leave it there for now - I do have more to post...
And I'm very pleased to say I have received my password to enter the website for my Sketchbook course.  I must say the quality of the material is very high - as you would expect from the Kemshalls.  I'm really looking forward to cracking on with it this weekend. I promise to keep you updated with my progress.
Hope you enjoy the Bank holiday weekend and you manage to avoid the thunderstorms.

Comments

Sarah said…
I also loved the edge of the road piece, so clever to even see it as a possible source of work. Really enjoyed FoQ, especially Pia Welsch & Regina Benson's work.

Popular posts from this blog

Outstanding Projects

Do you remember when this... became this? Well - It's time to get it finished.  This is my next project.  I intend to hand quilt kit with big black stitches. I always like to have a hand quilting project.
Last night I went to the Lutterworth Embroiderers Guild talk.  It was a great talk from Gizella K Warburton.  She shared her work with us - both textile work and photographs.  I really enjoyed seeing both.  Do have a look at her work.  It's abstract and uses some great fabrics which give the feel of the countryside.  These images give you a hint at the work Gizella produces. I hope to make progress with a few things this weekend and I'll post about it next week. Have a great weekend.

Jean Littlejohn class

The Lutterworth Embroiderers Guild were very fortunate to have Jean Littlejohn teaching. I think most of the class managed to finish their morning piece - which was a small stitched picture that we then embellished.  For me it was a first with an embellisher and Jean generously let us use her machine.  The second piece was stitched with a more open weave fabric than many of us were used to sewing with. Jean generously provided this fabric that was dyed and she also provided a size 14 Chenille needle - again much larger than we were used to, but the big eye enabled us to use a thinker thread to fill the space. We then bond webbed and foiled over the stitches,  So - a great class. Here are some photos from the day:
I'll post more photos as the work progresses.

Market Bosworth Festival

The Festival was a great success this year.  It was lovely to meet some of my blog readers... you know who you are. Above is a photo of Helen Rhodes who was demonstrating in the Bosworth gallery.  She's so nice and produces great work - do have a look at her website.  Here's a photo of the Town Crier - not sure where he was from, but he looked very smart in his outfit.  And here is the lovely Bee Design stand.  She also makes great paper products.  I wanted to show you the quilt Phyllis made using Edwina's 'cut and come again' method.  It was very popular with visitors.  I thought you'd like to see some of the work completed by some of the ladies who were beginners and are now producing great work.  If you'd like to know more about classes drop me a line and I'll forward you details on.  Don't worry I don't teach - the lovely Linda does.  Here is my small contribution to the show.  At long last I finished hand quilting with a seed stitch and got the …