Skip to main content

FoQ part 2

So - here's another post about the FoQ. There was so much that I couldn't fit it in one post.
Many of us struggle to find inspiration and I've often heard tutors say - 'it's all around you - you just need to open your eyes'. Well, here's proof of that. A single yellow line on a road. We must all see them every day. This photo is just of a small section of the finished piece - it really made me smile.  The artist is a graduate from last year, Sue Dawson, and she had the opportunity to exhibit her work in a small unit. The texture was very well constructed and some parts of the yellow line were made from fluorescent yellow fabric from jackets.
Another piece she made is below.
Again, a very interesting texture - but just look at it when photographed with the flash on.
In this piece she used grey fluorescent fabric which didn't look anything at all without the use of flash - but looked very different when flash was used.  
She was a really interesting lady to speak to.
Another student exhibiting with this years City & Guilds graduates was Susan Jones. She integrated embroidery into some very stylish clothes.  She had a great set of sketchbooks - as did all the students and they were all happy to have a chat.
Here is some of her work.

Maggie Grey was her usual entertaining self - always delivers a good lecture and is very generous with her work, experience and techniques.  If you get the opportunity to listen to her do go along.
I'll leave it there for now - I do have more to post...
And I'm very pleased to say I have received my password to enter the website for my Sketchbook course.  I must say the quality of the material is very high - as you would expect from the Kemshalls.  I'm really looking forward to cracking on with it this weekend. I promise to keep you updated with my progress.
Hope you enjoy the Bank holiday weekend and you manage to avoid the thunderstorms.

Comments

Sarah said…
I also loved the edge of the road piece, so clever to even see it as a possible source of work. Really enjoyed FoQ, especially Pia Welsch & Regina Benson's work.

Popular posts from this blog

At long last ......

At long last it's finished. My first large (96 x 78 inches) quilt. I'm really pleased with the pieced binding. It took a while to finish off - but I really like it. I've still got a bit of tidying up and I need to add a label - but the hard slog is finished. So I feel a bit lost now without a huge quilt to sit and stitch when I fancy. You can see from below I've already got the fabric for my next project from Strawberry Fayre. And yet again it was great service - really fast. I've washed the fabric and now it needs a good press. I also need to make sure I think about how the cut the fabric so I don't end up with lots of bits. The larger pieces I'll piece to make the back.

A new experience

Hello, After reading and looking at so many inspiring blogs I thought I'd dip my toe in the water. I hope you'll stick with me whilst I master this new thing..... I've only been quilting for a few years but have always been involved in crafts. My first experience of quilting was with my great aunt - the old fashioned paper hexagons with material from cut up purchases from jumble sales. I have advanced from this but I'm not the world's greatest quilter - although I am enthusiastic. The photo above is my quilt entered to Quilts in the Garden at Trentham last weekend. Although I didn't win a prize one of our group came third in the Bed Quilt category - we had a glass of bubbly to celebrate. I also have a bit of a thing for making bags - this comes in usful when we need things for our sales table at the village Festival (I can assure you they'll be lots more about this as we get nearer to the event). Hope you've enjoyed my first attempt...... I hope this pos...

How exciting

Hello all. I had a very nice e-mail yesterday telling me I was in October's British Patchwork & Quilting magazine as their featured blog of the month. And yes I'm there on page 68. A very nice surprise as I had no idea my little old blog would make a national publication. So if any of you are looking at my blog for the first time please do leave a comment - I'd love to hear from you.