Skip to main content

Jean Littlejohn Talk and Class

Another busy weekend involving lots of textiles.
We had a great evening on Friday at Leamington Embroierers Guild where we had Jean Littlejohn to deliver a talk and then a day class on the Saturday.
I'm sure a lot of you are aware of Jean Littlejohn and her close work with Jan Beaney. So to start here are a few photos of her work and samples - she was very generous and let us handle these and take photos.


And her sketchbooks were great.  I had serious sketchbook envy.


And here is the result of my day.  Her suggestion to our group was to use one stitch - twisted chain stitch.  
To make a back ground of this in a thick thread or wool, on a cotton fabric with an open weave with a very large eyed needle - a number 14 Chenille needle. 
 And then Bond a Web and foil was added
 And then more stitching.  
I bound some of my threads and I think this helped knock back the gold which was a little brash.
We then got to play with an embellisher.  Never had a go before, but found it very easy to use.
I sewed a variety of threads onto soluble fabric in cross stitch in varying sizes.  Then I went to the embellisher and worked from the front and the back.  Then I added some more crosses in different threads which I really liked the effect of.
And here is our show and tell. 
I think I can say we all had a great day. Jean is an enthusiastic textile artist and it was great to be able to see the work in detail rather than just in a book.  If you get the chance to attend one of her classes - go.
Take care all and I hope you have a great Bank Holiday Monday - it might even be sunny.

Comments

Sarah said…
You lucky soul, what a fabulous class. I really need to work on my hand stitching. Sarah

Popular posts from this blog

Dennis...

...well unfortunately Dennis died last month. Although we were very upset at the time we realise he had a very happy long life (18 years) and he spent his last day in the garden sunning himself . Everyone who came to the house met him - whether they wanted to or not; he was very friendly . So here are a last few photos of him looking like the fat happy orange cat that he was...

How exciting

Hello all. I had a very nice e-mail yesterday telling me I was in October's British Patchwork & Quilting magazine as their featured blog of the month. And yes I'm there on page 68. A very nice surprise as I had no idea my little old blog would make a national publication. So if any of you are looking at my blog for the first time please do leave a comment - I'd love to hear from you.