Skip to main content

Work in Progress - Walk II

 Hello all.
I have been working on the next piece in my Walk series.
Below are some of the photos that inspired this - harvest time. 
I collected grasses which I took home to study further.  Some of the seeds dropped, I photographed these, traced them, scaled them up and had Thermofax screens made.  I have screens made by Thermofax. They are always very good quality.  If you don't want to use your own designs you could select one of the vast range they have ready made.  Again, great quality and design. Here are the design pages for my screens.
I really enjoy this part of the design process - focussing on one small element.
Before going any further I needed to draft out the background  - colours and ideas about stitching.  These may change as a result of sampling.
And here is the fabric background with some screen printing (bottom and on the right on the yellow fabric).  I used a subtle yellow fabric paint from Colourcraft.  You will see this was just what I wanted.
Before screen printing on my pieced background I sampled to ensure the screens worked as expected on the pieced background. I used the screen printed seed images as a guide for sewing. I noted all my progress in my sketch book as although I often think I can remember how I made a piece, I often can't - so good notes are the best thing for me.
I have another aspect I'm sampling at the moment and promise to share it with you very soon.
And just as a bit of a tease.
Keep watching to find out more.
Take care all and try to keep dry.  If you live the UK you'll know exactly what I mean.


Hope you are keeping well and safe and warm :o) Just wanted to pop in a wish you a very Happy New Year and wish you all the best in stitchy goodness!

Popular posts from this blog

Outstanding Projects

Do you remember when this... became this? Well - It's time to get it finished.  This is my next project.  I intend to hand quilt kit with big black stitches. I always like to have a hand quilting project.
Last night I went to the Lutterworth Embroiderers Guild talk.  It was a great talk from Gizella K Warburton.  She shared her work with us - both textile work and photographs.  I really enjoyed seeing both.  Do have a look at her work.  It's abstract and uses some great fabrics which give the feel of the countryside.  These images give you a hint at the work Gizella produces. I hope to make progress with a few things this weekend and I'll post about it next week. Have a great weekend.

Jean Littlejohn Talk and Class

Another busy weekend involving lots of textiles. We had a great evening on Friday at Leamington Embroierers Guild where we had Jean Littlejohn to deliver a talk and then a day class on the Saturday. I'm sure a lot of you are aware of Jean Littlejohn and her close work with Jan Beaney. So to start here are a few photos of her work and samples - she was very generous and let us handle these and take photos.

And her sketchbooks were great.  I had serious sketchbook envy.

And here is the result of my day.  Her suggestion to our group was to use one stitch - twisted chain stitch.   To make a back ground of this in a thick thread or wool, on a cotton fabric with an open weave with a very large eyed needle - a number 14 Chenille needle.  And then Bond a Web and foil was added  And then more stitching.   I bound some of my threads and I think this helped knock back the gold which was a little brash. We then got to play with an embellisher.  Never had a go before, but found it very easy to use. I se…

Jean Littlejohn class

The Lutterworth Embroiderers Guild were very fortunate to have Jean Littlejohn teaching. I think most of the class managed to finish their morning piece - which was a small stitched picture that we then embellished.  For me it was a first with an embellisher and Jean generously let us use her machine.  The second piece was stitched with a more open weave fabric than many of us were used to sewing with. Jean generously provided this fabric that was dyed and she also provided a size 14 Chenille needle - again much larger than we were used to, but the big eye enabled us to use a thinker thread to fill the space. We then bond webbed and foiled over the stitches,  So - a great class. Here are some photos from the day:
I'll post more photos as the work progresses.