Skip to main content

Saturday at Bramble Patch

Hello - hope you're all OK and had a good weekend.
I had a lovely time on Saturday at the Bramble Patch. You can see Kaye and myself managed to take over a second classroom as we wanted to dye and be a bit messy. At the start we looked tidy - but it didn't last.
Here are the results of my screen printing on scrim in gold. It looked fine.



And here is the start of my backing - more gold screen printing on calico but it will have some photo transfer bits on too.




And here are my samples. Not so great. But as DH keeps telling me that's the whole reason you make up samples. I know - but I was still annoyed.
The top set of lettering has been cut out of scrim and then threads pulled to make it look distressed. I've then hand stitched using a variegated cotton perle no 8.
The bottom sample is the same scrim, screen printed in gold but with a piece of calico behind it so the words are more obvious. Oh - I forgot to say I tea dyed the scrim as it was a stark white.
Although I'm pleased with the idea of putting the calico behind the scrim I'm not too sure how it's going to look with lots of words over a larger piece of work. I think I may pin the words on to see what it's like.

My next few photos are of Kaye and her quest with painting bondaweb - she's really mastered it. The bondaweb was painted with silk paints - and this dries relatively quickly. The it's torn and ironed onto the fabric - she then painted in the gaps. As you can see it gives a great result.



This is Kaye pulling off the backing once she's ironed on the pieces.
Well I'm off to quilting tonight to see what they think of my samples.

Comments

Donna said…
the white behind the scrim makes such a difference in making the lettering readable! Looks like you had a productive and fun weekend. :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Dennis...

...well unfortunately Dennis died last month. Although we were very upset at the time we realise he had a very happy long life (18 years) and he spent his last day in the garden sunning himself . Everyone who came to the house met him - whether they wanted to or not; he was very friendly . So here are a last few photos of him looking like the fat happy orange cat that he was...

At long last ......

At long last it's finished. My first large (96 x 78 inches) quilt. I'm really pleased with the pieced binding. It took a while to finish off - but I really like it. I've still got a bit of tidying up and I need to add a label - but the hard slog is finished. So I feel a bit lost now without a huge quilt to sit and stitch when I fancy. You can see from below I've already got the fabric for my next project from Strawberry Fayre. And yet again it was great service - really fast. I've washed the fabric and now it needs a good press. I also need to make sure I think about how the cut the fabric so I don't end up with lots of bits. The larger pieces I'll piece to make the back.