Skip to main content

Friday 13th...

Hello all.
Yes I'm back again.
Had a great time yesterday on Friday 13th visiting a number of artists who were part of the Warwickshire Open Studios.  I really enjoyed seeing art in a domestic setting as I think it makes it easier to imagine it in your own home. So here we go - in no particular order.

 I was so pleased I had the opportunity to meet Jo.  I've been a big fan of her work for some time and it was a real pleasure to meet her in person.
She is now the proud owner of an 1800's letter press.  A really beautiful machine and she has trays and trays of letters.  She makes great work combining drawing and letterpress.  She very kindly demonstrated her machine and the photo above shows the result.  I'm so pleased with it.

Sharon was featured in Embroidery magazine and I was really pleased I could see her work up close.  She uses a combination of dress patterns and ephemera.  She combines these to produce pieces of art, including paper bowls.
A lovely house too.

It was great to catch up with Bren Boardman.  As I would have expected she had beautiful work on display.  And she is due to start teaching her 'Explore you Creative Potential' at Bramble Patch. Get in quick if you want a place - I can assure you it's a great course.
Also exhibitiing was Emma House, who used vintage fabrics to produce some lovely work - I loved the quirky aprons.  Very 1950s.  I bought a bundle of fabric - far too cheap at £5.  I think the orange and lime green will go rather well with the fabric I dyed last week.

Also there was Jane Jones who makes unusual but wearable jewellery and Nicola Roberts beautiful pots.  
Again art in a domestic environment was great to see.

Michala has produced yet another selection of great work in a variety of media and sizes, all easily identifiable as her won style.  She recently exhibited at the Herbert Gallery and they have asked if they can take her work on tour.  A real achievement for a local artist.  Keep your eye on her blog.

And now to me! 
As promised here is the progress on my incubator quilt top.  Now machine quilted, and ready for binding.  I really want to master those ruddy corners!  I'm never very pleased with my results so I'm going to see what I can do this time. 
I forgot to mention last time I'd been to Spring Hydro on Wednesday. A lovely day.  If you have the opportunity to go- don't pass it up. I also saw the Women's GB Olympic Football Team training there.
Take care and have a good weekend.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dennis...

...well unfortunately Dennis died last month. Although we were very upset at the time we realise he had a very happy long life (18 years) and he spent his last day in the garden sunning himself . Everyone who came to the house met him - whether they wanted to or not; he was very friendly . So here are a last few photos of him looking like the fat happy orange cat that he was...

At long last ......

At long last it's finished. My first large (96 x 78 inches) quilt. I'm really pleased with the pieced binding. It took a while to finish off - but I really like it. I've still got a bit of tidying up and I need to add a label - but the hard slog is finished. So I feel a bit lost now without a huge quilt to sit and stitch when I fancy. You can see from below I've already got the fabric for my next project from Strawberry Fayre. And yet again it was great service - really fast. I've washed the fabric and now it needs a good press. I also need to make sure I think about how the cut the fabric so I don't end up with lots of bits. The larger pieces I'll piece to make the back.