Tuesday, 7 August 2007

Sunburst and arty farty....

I hope you like the photos I've included today.
The first two are of my Sunburst quilt. At sewing camp I did add the borders and make the back - both of which I'm really pleased with. Unfortunately my machine quilting skills weren't up to the mark so I decided to hand quilt it. Luckily it's no where near as big as the last one I hand quilted and the quilting isn't as dense so it shouldn't take as long. However before I started I was warned about a potential 'challenge'. As I'm quilting in the ditch you do occasionally get a bit where lots of seams have met and it's a bit difficult to get the needle through - in addition the backing is pieced - so this adds another potential seam. Guess what? - they were right. It has been a bit awkward at times but I'm pleased with the result both front and back. As the quilt is very vibrant (otherwise known as you need your sunglasses to look at it) I didn't really want the quilting to be anymore than functional - and I think it works. What do you think? I know the stitching isn't that obvious but if you click on the photos I'm sure the larger version will show the stitching better.


The next photos are for my 'arty farty' architectural quilt for the Malvern Show next year and the exhibition our group is putting on at the Bramble Patch next year.
The first photo shows a photo transfer that I printed and then fussy cut and tacked onto a more textured fabric. It looked a bit harsh so I tea dyed it and it's much more toned now.



This block started out as the rust dyed fabric, then Pitt Artist pens were used with freezer paper to produce brick shapes. I then cut out brick shapes in various fabrics. Again it looked a bit harsh - so tea dyed it again. As it had already been rust dyed the calico took on a very different colour than expected and is more marbled. Again I'm pleased with both blocks.
The blocks will be machine embroidered so the edges again won't look too harsh I'm a bit nervous about putting all the blocks together and then working on the whole piece (18 x 52 inches). It's just got to work. If any of you have any other ideas - do let me know.




2 comments:

Purplefrog said...

Thanks for sharing the great 'arty farty' pictures, they are great. The stitching on your Sunburst quilt looks good to me.

Quilt Pixie said...

what a great contrast in styles! They all look so yummy....