Skip to main content

A mid week post

Yep - it's Wednesday and here I am posting...

As you saw on my last blog I was getting a piece of calico ready for my dyeing class - so I thought I'd show you what it looks like now I've pulled all the threads together.
Here's the back:


And here's the front:


I'm really looking forward to seeing how it dyes.
I also wanted to say what a great quilting meeting we had on Monday - it was an unplanned show and tell plus a chat about our marks at Trentham. One of our members has done a fantastic job of machine quilting our quilt to raffle at our festival. Our chosen charity this year is LOROS. It does look really great. He also had a large quilt it had taken him 7 months to hand quilt - it really looks fantastic. We had a glass of bubbly to celebrate one of our members getting second place in the bed quilt category. And our newest member had finished the small quilt she was working on. So all in all a celebratory evening.
I've also taken the brave step of using my sketchbook and using watercolour paints - a first for me. I promise to show you the results when I have a few more pages.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cut and Come Again - sort of

Hello all. Are you managing to avoid the downpours? Crikey when it rains - it really rains. So here is my attempt at Edwina MacKinnon's 'Cut and Come Again' technique that she taught to our group - but I was unable to attend the class.  I was a bit annoyed this week and this is a great technique when you're annoyed.  If you look at the link to Edwina's blog you'll see hers is much better (as you would expect).  But I think if I have another look at her blog photos perhaps I can adapt it.  I'll be putting these blocks together to make a cushion cover for the show in Market Bosworth in June. I promise to show you the results when I have it finished. Have a good weekend - and keep dry.

At long last ......

At long last it's finished. My first large (96 x 78 inches) quilt. I'm really pleased with the pieced binding. It took a while to finish off - but I really like it. I've still got a bit of tidying up and I need to add a label - but the hard slog is finished. So I feel a bit lost now without a huge quilt to sit and stitch when I fancy. You can see from below I've already got the fabric for my next project from Strawberry Fayre. And yet again it was great service - really fast. I've washed the fabric and now it needs a good press. I also need to make sure I think about how the cut the fabric so I don't end up with lots of bits. The larger pieces I'll piece to make the back.

A new experience

Hello, After reading and looking at so many inspiring blogs I thought I'd dip my toe in the water. I hope you'll stick with me whilst I master this new thing..... I've only been quilting for a few years but have always been involved in crafts. My first experience of quilting was with my great aunt - the old fashioned paper hexagons with material from cut up purchases from jumble sales. I have advanced from this but I'm not the world's greatest quilter - although I am enthusiastic. The photo above is my quilt entered to Quilts in the Garden at Trentham last weekend. Although I didn't win a prize one of our group came third in the Bed Quilt category - we had a glass of bubbly to celebrate. I also have a bit of a thing for making bags - this comes in usful when we need things for our sales table at the village Festival (I can assure you they'll be lots more about this as we get nearer to the event). Hope you've enjoyed my first attempt...... I hope this pos...