Skip to main content

Slightly philosophical

Slightly philosophical - a bit of an unusual title for me - but hopefully all will become clear (don't worry there are some photos later on LOL).
We discussed at our last class how we'd like to develop things for next year. Bren says she isn't looking to run an advanced class as such and wondered what out thoughts were. I do really enjoy the classes and in particular the group we have is great - very generous with comments and ideas and great fun to spend time with. However the commitment, both cost and time, is significant and it does limit other classes I can attend. Don't think I'm having a moan about the classes - I'm not - I've learnt loads and I've really enjoyed meeting the group, I've made some great friends.
One idea I had would be to run a quarterly meeting at a local village hall (near to the Bramble Patch so we can go for a bit of retail therapy) where we could meet for the day and socialise, perhaps later on have a talk by a local artist, set group challenges, put work together as a group to show at exhibitions, discuss new techniques and critique each others work. I spoke with a member of our village quilting group (who attends Linda's class at Bramble Patch) and she was very interested.
What do you think?
How do you interact with others to get support and ideas?

This leads me onto the slightly philosophical bit now... One of the blogs I look at regularly is Lisa Call's. She produces some great work - but also makes me think about where I'm going and why I'm doing it. One of her posts really made me stop and think about working towards goals - not just textile ones - but in general. It's to the point - ...'if I sit around it's unlikely my goals will be met'. Yes - it's stating the obvious - but just thing about what you do in a day, over a week - how is that getting you towards your goals? Please do have a look and let me know what you think. Oh philosophy over now.

Well yesterday we had yet another day of sewing in the village hall - I think we're averaging one a month - it's great. Unfortunately a couple of our members couldn't attend - one was rescuing her kitchen after having a new one fitted and the other was either just back, or on her way back from New York (tough I know). We had a great day - and below are photos of what I got up to.

A foundation pieced star - from Quilter Corner Club.
I added the brighter bits to this top and used a decorative stitch to make sure they stayed there - I think my Bondaweb was a little tired.
And I put my very pink quilt back together.
So today I've got all of those boring household jobs to do - you know ironing, washing, tidying up and cleaning. But I'm hoping to crack on with them so I can sit and sew and watch a film this afternoon.
Hope you all had a good weekend too.

Comments

Donna said…
Hope you can find a rhythm for getting together that meets everyone's needs. Its hard to "move on" from a class and group of friends who have become close and meaningful...

Popular posts from this blog

A new experience

Hello, After reading and looking at so many inspiring blogs I thought I'd dip my toe in the water. I hope you'll stick with me whilst I master this new thing..... I've only been quilting for a few years but have always been involved in crafts. My first experience of quilting was with my great aunt - the old fashioned paper hexagons with material from cut up purchases from jumble sales. I have advanced from this but I'm not the world's greatest quilter - although I am enthusiastic. The photo above is my quilt entered to Quilts in the Garden at Trentham last weekend. Although I didn't win a prize one of our group came third in the Bed Quilt category - we had a glass of bubbly to celebrate. I also have a bit of a thing for making bags - this comes in usful when we need things for our sales table at the village Festival (I can assure you they'll be lots more about this as we get nearer to the event). Hope you've enjoyed my first attempt...... I hope this pos...

At long last ......

At long last it's finished. My first large (96 x 78 inches) quilt. I'm really pleased with the pieced binding. It took a while to finish off - but I really like it. I've still got a bit of tidying up and I need to add a label - but the hard slog is finished. So I feel a bit lost now without a huge quilt to sit and stitch when I fancy. You can see from below I've already got the fabric for my next project from Strawberry Fayre. And yet again it was great service - really fast. I've washed the fabric and now it needs a good press. I also need to make sure I think about how the cut the fabric so I don't end up with lots of bits. The larger pieces I'll piece to make the back.
Hello all, Apologies to you for the gap between posts.  I've been a little preoccupied with getting our bathroom sorted. It's amazing how you can have work done in one room of the house and the rest of the house turns into absolute chaos. And why has everything started to break, microwave, washing machine, kettle...  Anyway - as I keep being reminded it has to get worse before it gets better! Our little kittens are growing fast - they are quite leggy now and still very fast. I'll try to get a photo of them. It will have to be when they're asleep. On the sewing front I'm still working on my NYB swap. I'm making progress but the deadline is a little nearer than I'd like. Tomorrow I hope to be able to make some more progress with the NYB without my little helpers. An exciting development has also been happening. I've been teaching at Coles in Nottingham. They have a really well laid out spacious first floor room for classes.  It has a l...