Skip to main content

Dyeing Day

Hello all,
I've had great fun this morning. Been dyeing and am very pleased with how it's gone so far.
So here is my attempt at graduated dying from Magenta to Ultramarine.


And this set runs from Bright Turquoise to Golden Yellow.

 And I've been very good at making sure I keep a record too. So I've noted the colours and how they've been mixed. I also brushed the colour against the notes and I've added a square of fabric to ensure I have a record of the colour achieved. 
As i had some of the dye mix left I made another plastic cup up and added some threads that have been wound onto plastic cotton reels. I also added some manufactured printed fabric too to see how they turn out.
So - next time I'm sure I'll be able to show you the results. 
Hope to hear from you all soon.

Comments

What fun! It has been years since I did any dyeing...oooh roll on warm weather so I can get out in the garden and make a mess :o)
Sarah said…
You are so methodical! I was dyeing yesterday but got carried away and forgot to make notes or samples!! I'll try to be better organised next time

Popular posts from this blog

Outstanding Projects

Do you remember when this... became this? Well - It's time to get it finished.  This is my next project.  I intend to hand quilt kit with big black stitches. I always like to have a hand quilting project.
Last night I went to the Lutterworth Embroiderers Guild talk.  It was a great talk from Gizella K Warburton.  She shared her work with us - both textile work and photographs.  I really enjoyed seeing both.  Do have a look at her work.  It's abstract and uses some great fabrics which give the feel of the countryside.  These images give you a hint at the work Gizella produces. I hope to make progress with a few things this weekend and I'll post about it next week. Have a great weekend.
Hello all, Apologies to you for the gap between posts.  I've been a little preoccupied with getting our bathroom sorted. It's amazing how you can have work done in one room of the house and the rest of the house turns into absolute chaos. And why has everything started to break, microwave, washing machine, kettle...  Anyway - as I keep being reminded it has to get worse before it gets better!
Our little kittens are growing fast - they are quite leggy now and still very fast. I'll try to get a photo of them. It will have to be when they're asleep.
On the sewing front I'm still working on my NYB swap. I'm making progress but the deadline is a little nearer than I'd like. Tomorrow I hope to be able to make some more progress with the NYB without my little helpers.
An exciting development has also been happening. I've been teaching at Coles in Nottingham. They have a really well laid out spacious first floor room for classes.  It has a lift so anyone with mobilit…

Roman Stripe

I was asked to post a few more photos of my 'large' Roman Stripe quilt. As you can see it more Super king size. All of the floral blocks have been stitched in a double seed stitch. I found this stitch in 'The quilter's and patchworkersstitch Bible' by Nikki Tinkler - I can't recommend this book highly enough. Nikki explains how to do a wide variety of stitches and also shows what they look like on the back of your quilt. She also suggests when various stitches should be used - either decorative or filling. I'm really pleased with this book and in particular this stitch. On the Roman Stripe block I've stitched in the middle of the rows and then added my curved template in each of the corners. I wasn't too sure about it but it was suggested at our group and as usual they were right. I must say that's one of the greatest benefits of being a member of a group - you can ask for suggestions and discuss ideas.